Sunday, 1 June 2008

Talking to Martin

I thought it would be fun to share this odd little moment with you.
Two days ago, i was desperately trying to reach Achiko, who was in a bit of a fix at an airport in Moscow. He had called me from a Russian mobile number and i was trying to call him back - not managing to get connected. A Russian automated message would pick up the call, where an hour earlier it had gone straight to him. I was getting a bit nervous as to what was going on and kept on calling - until finally it rang. Somebody picked up. Relief! But on listening closer, i heard strange muffled noises, almost as if somebody was being choked or coughing. So, a bit alarmed, i waited for a reply, when suddenly, in a very fine English accent a man spoke a distinct: 'Heluu'. Confused, I asked whom I was speaking to (as Achiko definitely does not have a middle class British accent); and the voice replied "this is Martin Parr". I was so anxious and dumb-struck, that i just apologized for having dialed the wrong number and hung up. I had rung the same Russian number as before ... so what had happened? And why had i not been a little more spontaneous to make the most out of this brief moment of phone-junxery that connected me to Martin Parr!? Life is strange sometimes and very unpredictable.

No comments: